Breast Cancer: Approach and Expertise
North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute takes a comprehensive approach to treating breast cancer at our dedicated Breast Cancer Center, which has achieved accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC). Our multidisciplinary team of specialists has unparalleled experience diagnosing and treating a high volume of breast cancers at one of the largest cancer programs in the New York metro area. We offer specialized therapies available at only a few cancer centers in the nation.
One of the most progressive breast cancer centers in the country, our treatments and services include:
- Complete breast cancer screening, diagnostic imaging, diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and assessment of cancer risks at one convenient location.
- An emerging technology in breast cancer screenings is 3-D mammography (digital breast tomosynthesis), which is used on a case sensitive basis.
- Least-invasive breast cancer procedures, including breast-conservation surgery.
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) that precisely targets breast tumors while protecting healthy tissue nearby, partial breast radiation therapy and accelerated schedules of radiation therapy.
- Advanced breast reconstruction techniques.
- Dedicated breast care navigator helps patients manage issues resulting from their disease and treatment.
- Support groups.
- Genetic counseling for women at risk of breast cancer or who have had breast cancer, which may have a hereditary basis.
Multidisciplinary Breast Cancer Treatment
Within the first several days of your visit, our multidisciplinary team at the Breast Cancer Center will conduct comprehensive tests and develop your personalized treatment program. To provide expert diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer, we rely on a multidisciplinary group of top specialists from these fields:
- Surgical oncology
- Plastic surgery
- Medical oncology
- Radiation medicine
- Oncology nursing
- Oncology Social work
- Cancer genetic counseling
- Physical therapy
From diagnosis through treatment, you're in the capable hands of experts every step of the way.
You're Part of the Team
At North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute, we treat the entire person, not just the cancer. And because each diagnosis is unique, we customize a treatment plan to fit your specific needs. We'll have questions. You'll have questions. Together, we'll have a dialogue that continues throughout your care so you have an active role in deciding next steps, making choices, and selecting the best treatment options available.
Breast Cancer Clinical Trials and Research
The Breast Cancer Team at North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute proudly brings nearly 30 years of experience in offering access to clinical trials, including the newest therapies and novel treatment options. Patients have access to the newest and most promising therapies offered through our association with NRG (formerly National Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group). The National Cancer Institute’s (NCI’s) Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, the University of Rochester Cancer Center, Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University (CCCWFU), the National Cancer Institute Cancer Trials Support Unity (CTSU) and industry-sponsored trials are included as well. North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute is an NCI-designated Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP).
Extensive Resources Only a Health System Can Provide
During your treatment at the Breast Cancer Center at North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute, you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the region’s largest health systems and all the resources needed to treat the whole person — not just your cancer. We are fully prepared to confront any event, cancer-triggered or otherwise — clinically, emotionally, socially and psychologically — during your care.