The surgical, medical and radiation oncologists at the Center for Melanoma and Rare Skin Cancer take a relentless team approach to treating patients with melanoma and other skin cancers, from diagnosis through surgery, reconstruction and post-operative therapy.
New and targeted therapies for advanced forms of melanoma are available for advanced forms of melanoma. In addition, the Center also sees a high volume of rarer skin malignancies such as Merkel cell cancer and skin appendage tumors. Its cohesive continuum of care includes a full range of support services and ongoing collaboration with many local and regional dermatology practices.
Treatment for a Broad Range of Melanoma and Skin Cancers
The Center for Melanoma and Rare Skin Cancer is the leading referral center in the region for complex skin cancer care, and we work with many local and regional dermatology practices. Within days of your referral, you will be seen by key members of the multidisciplinary treatment team, who will develop your course of treatment and supportive care.
We are widely recognized for our expertise with:
- Locally advanced basal and squamous cell carcinomas
- Merkel cell carcinoma
- Skin appendage tumors
- Cutaneous myeloproliferative processes
- Extra-mammary Paget’s disease
We are one of the few programs in the region with prior experience using new, targeted treatments for advanced forms of melanoma.
Innovative Skin Cancer Treatments
We offer many highly specialized treatment options that provide the highest possible cure rate for many skin cancers and preserve the greatest amount of normal tissue as possible. Our treatment specialties include:
- Advanced surgical treatments — Our surgical oncologists are experienced in all aspects of surgery, including appropriate resections of the primary tumor, sentinel node mapping and biopsy, and operations for more advanced disease. They also collaborate seamlessly with plastic surgeons for any needed reconstruction.
- Radiation therapy — Our expert radiation oncologists use breakthrough techniques such as intensity modulated radiation therapy, hypofractionated radiation and electron beam therapy to deliver optimal therapeutic doses to diseased areas while protecting healthy tissue.
- Advanced Medical oncology — Our medical oncologists combine decades of experience with innovative approaches to deliver targeted therapy, immunotherapy and chemotherapy.
Melanoma and Skin Cancer Research and Clinical Trials
Our cohesive continuum of care includes a full range of support services and we make appropriate new and innovative treatment options available through National Cancer Institute–sponsored cooperative group clinical trials.