Colon and Small Intestine Cancer
North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute takes an advanced approach to treating colon and small intestine cancer. The distinguished experts at our Gastrointestinal Oncology Center draw upon decades of training and experience, applying the latest technology and research-backed therapies to treat all stages of colon and small intestine cancer.
From diagnosis through treatment and follow-up, you’re in the capable hands of some of the region's top colon and small intestine cancer experts every step of the way. Learn more about our Gastrointestinal Oncology Center. You can also find a Cancer Institute location near you.
Quality Care for Colon and Small Intestine Cancer
Highlights of our state-of-the-art treatments and services include:
- Advanced colon cancer treatments, including minimally invasive surgery, robotic-assisted surgery
- Novel chemotherapies, targeted therapies and biologic therapies
- Cutting-edge approaches to delivering chemotherapy
- Highly precise radiation therapy techniques such as intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Endoscopic ultrasound and other leading-edge diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Noninvasive virtual colonoscopy
- Specialists in gastrointestinal genetics and genetic counseling
- Broad range of supportive care services
Learn more about our approach to colon and small intestine cancer diagnosis.
A Team Approach to Colon and Small Intestine Cancer
Within the first several days of your visit, a North-Shore LIJ Cancer Institute team of physicians with different specialties will conduct comprehensive testing and use these findings to develop your personalized treatment program. Each diagnosis is unique, so our multidisciplinary team of colon and small intestine cancer experts:
- Meets weekly to share ideas and best practices for delivering collaborative patient care
- Reviews each treatment phase to constantly improve your care and ensure treatment milestones are reached
To provide expert diagnosis and treatment, we rely on leading specialists from fields including:
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Medical oncology
- Radiation medicine
- Oncology nursing
- Oncology social work
- Cancer genetic counseling
Individualized Care for Colon and Small Intestine Cancer
At North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute, we treat the entire person, not just the cancer. And because each diagnosis is unique, we customize a treatment plan to fit your specific needs. We'll have questions, and you will have questions. Together, we'll have a conversation that continues throughout your care so you have an active role in deciding next steps, making choices and selecting the best treatment options available.
Learn more about our approach to colon and small intestine cancer treatment.
Colon and Small Intestine Clinical Trials Leader
Our North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute is a member of the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, a leading cooperative group sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). That means we provide patients with exclusive access to emerging treatment approaches as well as new drug trials developed by our Center’s physicians. Our experts have over 29 years of experience in cancer clinical trials offering the best possible treatment options. Learn more about our clinical trials.
Comprehensive Health System Care for the Colon and Small Intestine
At North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute, you’re surrounded by the strength of one of the region’s largest health systems and all the resources needed to treat the whole person — not just your cancer.
With a large network of hospitals, outpatient centers, home care and specialists of every kind, we are fully prepared to confront any event, cancer-triggered or otherwise during your care. That includes clinical, emotional, social and psychological support.
Learn more about:
- Colon and Small Intestine Cancer Diagnosis
- Colon and Small Intestine Cancer Treatment
- North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute
- Gastrointestinal Oncology Center
- Awards and Distinctions
- Patient Stories
- Clinical Trials and Research